- CLABSI 101: Central Line-Associated Blood Stream Infection (CLABSI): An Introduction
Provides background information on the impact CLABSI has on patients, the pathogenesis of CLABSI and strategies to prevent CLABSI. This module sets the stage for the subsequent modules in this course.
- CLABSI 102: Central Venous Catheter Appropriateness
Outlines the importance of only placing central venous catheters when necessary and shares strategies to determine catheter appropriateness. Additionally, this module highlights tools and strategies to ensure appropriate catheter use and placement.
- CLABSI 103: Prevention of Central Line-Associated Bloodstream Infections: Asceptic Insertion and Site Selection.
Reviews the supplies necessary for asceptic insertion of central venous catheters and strategies to ensure supplies are assembled and readily available for staff. This module also highlights insertion checklists to guide decisions making to help prevent CLABSI.
- CLABSI 104: Maintenance and Removal of Central Venous Catheters
Discusses the interventions to include in a central venous catheter maintenance and removal bundles and highlights the importance of proper catheter care and removal as a means to prevent CLABSI.
- CLABSI 201: Using the Guide to Patient Safety (GPS) and Targeted Assessment for Prevention to Assess CLABSI Prevention Efforts
Discusses how to use the CLABSI Guide to Patient Safety and the Targeted Assessment for Prevention (TAP) to establish focused goals and evaluate possible barriers to implementation of CLABSI prevention strategies. This module is a pivot point between the Tier 1 basic CLABSI prevention strategies and the Tier 2 enhanced and intensive CLABSI prevention strategies.
- CLABSI 202: Enhanced Intervention to Prevent CLABSI
Outlines the Tier 2, enhanced CLABSI prevention strategies and how to implement these more complex interventions. These strategies include conducting multidisciplinary rounds to audit necessity of catheter use, feeding back CLABSI and catheter utilization metrics to frontline staff in “realtime,” observing and documenting competency and compliance of catheter insertion and maintentance, using additional approaches as indicated by risk assessment and completing a full root cause analysis for every CLABSI.
- CLABSI 203: Advanced Approaches to Prevent CLABSI
Summarizes advanced CLABSI prevention strategies such as antibiotic impregnated catheters and antibiotic locks. This module reviews the existing literature and highlights the need to reassess CLABSI prevention measures before turning to these expensive strategies.